1 NOVEBER 2016 - 15 APRIL 2017

  • Slashes - Adequate water (minimum 500 litres) and a suitable fire unit present in the area being slashed.
  • Burning in the township of Cowell, Port Gibbon or Lucky Bay is not permitted during the Fire Danger Season.
  • Roadside burning or clearing is only permitted with the approval from DEWNR pH: 8303 9777.


Conditional Permit Burning Season (Schedule 9 Permits)

No burning without a permit issued by a Council Authorised Person, under the Fire Emergency Services Act 2005.

When do I need a Permit?

A permit to light a fire in the open in the Fire Danger Season is required when any burning off is undertaken and when a fire is lit on the ground (Refer to the CFS webside and the Fire and Emergency Services Act 2005 as severe penalties apply).

Where can I get a permit?

A permit can be obtained from the CFS Fire Prevention Officer-Permits, Council's Fire Prevention Officer-Permits (if applicable) or any other Authorised Fire Prevention Officer-Permits if authorised to do so under the Fire and Emergency Services Act 2005.

Any conditions under which the permit is issued must be complied with (severe penalties apply for non compliance to the permit conditions).

All conditions attached to the permit are stated within the permit or on the reverse side of the permit and must be adhered to when lighting a fire under such a permit. It is the Permit Holders responsibility to check the local conditions at all times prior to burning.

Once you  have received your permit (subject to approval), it is still a requirement for you to contact Council on a daily basis if you are going to burn off under the permit (please refer to the conditions within the permit). If the permit holder intends to burn  around 9.00am 24 hours notice must be given to Council and Adelaide prior to the Permit burn.The Permit Holder is responsible also for contacting Adelaide Fire on 8204 3782 immediately prior to commencing the permit burn.


  1. Fires must not be lit on any Fire Ban Day.
  2. Council must be notified 24 hours prior to the intended burn off if the Permit holder intends to burn early the next day or weekend.
  3. Grain harvesting - please refer to the Grain Harvesting Code of Practice brochure on the CFS website.
  4. SAPOL under the OPERATION NOMAD patrols will be notified of any fire.



When a Total Fire Ban has been issued you should make sure your BUSHFIRE ACTION PLAN is in place, remember PREPARE. ACT. SURVIVE.

Call 1300 362 361 for 24 hour advice on fire restrictions and fire bans.

The Country Fire Services website can provide valuable information regarding fire restrictions during periods of TOTAL FIRE BAN and throughout the fire danger season, fact sheets are also available from the site (or Council) or contact Council on 8629 2019 during normal office hours for further information.


Throughout the Fire Danger Season if a Total Fire Ban has not been declared, you may use any barbecue or campfire for cooking but there are conditions that you must follow. The fire must be contained in a barbecue or cooker, a properly constructed fire place of a 30 centimetre deep trench, not more than 1 square metre in area. As well, you must have cleared away all flammable material for a 4 metre space around and above it. While it is alight you must have a responsible person to stay with the fire (non drinking person) and have with you sufficient water or other appropriate extinguishing agent and appropriate fire equipment that is in good working condition.

Burning Rubbish

The use of incinerators and open fires for waste disposal on domestic premises is prohibited.


Click to go to a printer friendly version of this page